|Cody at the podium|
|Originally Aired:||June 23, 2007|
- This article is about the episode from The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. You may be looking for the similarly-titled series finale of The Suite Life on Deck.
Graduation is the 1st episode of the third season of The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. Cody is graduating the 8th grade as class valedictorian and Zack is horrified when he finds out he has failed English and will not be graduating the 8th grade as he will have to go to summer school and is scared to tell his parents. Meanwhile, Maddie accepts a camp counselor job at "Camp Heaven-on-Earth" and meets a group of five juvenile delinquents.
Zack and Cody are graduating from the 8th grade. However, Cody is announced as class valedictorian, but Zack is told by Mr. Forgess, the Special Ed Teacher that he has failed English, so he can't graduate with his class and will have to go to summer school as Zack becomes shocked and horrified about it. Zack decides that he must tell Carey the truth and promising to do well in summer school after Cody suggests to Zack to tell her the truth, and while telling her, their dad, Kurt shows up, saying that he took some time from his tour in Hong Kong to watch his boys graduate and getting their diplomas. Instead of telling the truth to his parents, Zack lies to them, saying that he is graduating. Zack sneaks into the graduation, but learns that there are only enough gowns and diplomas for the people graduating. Cody sarcastically tells Zack about forging a diploma and stealing a gown. Zack does this and also prank calls Mr. Forgess into thinking that his car is parked at the bottom of a river and becomes part of the graduation, much to Cody's dismay.
After Cody does his speech, all the students are ready to graduate. When the diplomas are being handed out, Zack throws a spitball at the lady up on stage, causing her to shout out his name after Cody gets his diploma. Zack pretends to get a diploma and he successfully fools Kurt and Carey as Kurt and Carey still believe that he has graduated. At the graduation party that Carey planned in their suite, after Kurt gives the boys two things for working so hard such as an ancient abacus for Cody while Kurt was on tour in China to give Cody something and his favorite vintage guitar for Zack, Carey and Kurt brag about Zack graduating with Kurt telling Zack that he really earned this and Carey telling Zack that she felt like that Zack wasn't gonna pass English. Zack eventually feels guilty, and confesses that he didn't graduate, much to everybody's shock. Kurt and Carey become confused and ask Zack of what is he talking about. Zack explains that he has faked the entire thing and has to go to summer school for English as Carey and Kurt become really disappointed at Zack for lying to them instead of being honest to them and not graduating. As a result, Zack is grounded for failing English, not graduating and lying. He must give back the vintage guitar that Kurt gave to him. Zack promises that he will graduate if he passes summer school. Kurt promises to give Zack the guitar back after he graduates.
Sister Dominic comes to The Tipton Hotel, explaining that she needs camp counselors for "Camp Heaven-on-Earth". Maddie willingly accepts, but finds out that it is nothing like the brochure. Plus she has to take care of five young juvenile delinquents (one of them is Holly, the same con-artist we saw in the episode "Have a Nice Trip"). Maddie is stuck with them, but London is on the way, and will she get out?
- Sister Dominick: Oh, I just had a baby barf!
- London: Maddie, you know what I like about summer vacation? Not being locked in a stuffy school 'til noon every day.
- Maddie: London, some of us actually come back to school after lunch.
- London: I suppose you go on Fridays too.
- Maddie: Yeah. Silly me.
- Barbara: (to Cody) You know when we get to high school, I'm taking five AP classes!
- Cody: I'm taking six! (Barbara stomps on Cody's foot and she shouts in pain) Steel-toed boots! (joyfully dances away)
- Maddie: For our next activity, I was thinking we could do something to make this cabin more attractive.
- Amy: You're leaving?
- Mr. Forgess: We have a little problem. You seem to have failed English.
- Zack: Wait, what?
- Mr. Forgess: You won't be graduating with your class.
- Zack: No, no, no, no, no! I need to graduate with my class! If I don't graduate, I'll have to go to su... su... su...
- Mr. Forgess: ...mmer school?
- Zack: Yeah, that's it.
- Cody: You know, mom's really gonna be mad when she finds out you're not graduating.
- Zack: Well she can't be too mad when she finds out I saved a life.
- Cody: Whose life did you save?
- Zack: (tries to shove an apple on Cody's mouth) Here, choke on this.
- Cody: (gives the apple and puts it down) Now, what you need is to tell her the truth and promise to do well in summer school.
- Zack: You're right. Honesty is the best policy. Give me that water. (puts drops of water on his cheeks to pretend that he is about to cry) Mom's a sucker for a sob story. Dead puppy, dead puppy, dead puppy. OK, let's do this.
- Carey: I'm baking a cake for your graduation party.
- Cody: Is that cake on the ceiling?
- Carey: That was the first try. How is your last day at school?
- Zack: (pretends to start to cry) I don't wanna talk about it.
- Carey: Honey, you're sad to be leaving middle school?
- Cody: Well...
- Zack: Would you let me handle this?
- Carey: Sweetie, no matter how bad it is, you can tell me anything, you know that, right?
- Zack: I know mom. You see, the truth is…
- Kurt: (opens the door) Surprise!
- Carey: So Zack, what were you upset about?
- Zack: Uh...that dad wasn't gonna be here to see me graduate, but it's all good now! (cake falls from the ceiling and lands on Zack's face)
- Mr. Moseby: And now that you are heading off to high school, I'm sure that you realize that your wild days of shenanigans are behind you.
- Zack: Cody, are you through with your shenanigans?
- Cody: Nope. I think I'm going to "shenan-again". (chuckles)
- Mr. Moseby: Just remember, you're that much closer to being tried as adults!
- Maddie: (to her campers) Just so you know, I am not going to judge you. In fact, I brought each of you a little gift. (sees that her backpack is missing) Okay, which one of you crooks stole my backpack?
- Zack: Except that I didn't graduate, okay!
(Everybody gasps in shock)
- Mr. Moseby: There's a shock!
(Mr. Moseby takes away Zack's gift and steps away)
- Kurt: (confused) What are you talking about?
- Zack: I faked the whole thing.
- Carey: I don't, I don't understand. I mean you have a diploma... (unrolls the fake diploma and discovers that Zack has told the truth about him not graduating) This is a picture of a girl wearing a bikini.
- Kurt: Uh, she's hot! I mean...it's hot...at the beach...that's why she's wearing a bikini...
- Carey: (becoming devastated) Zack, why did you do this?
- Zack: (becoming honest) Because you tried to bake a cake and Dad left his tour, and I didn't want to disappoint you guys again.
- Kurt: (begins to understand) Hey, don't sweat it, dude, it's okay. (Carey smacks Kurt in the gut as Kurt starts to become really angry at Zack for lying to him and Carey) OOF!!! I mean, you are so in trouble!
- Carey: (sternly) Zack, I am disappointed that you didn't graduate, but I am even more disappointed that you pulled the stunt instead of just being honest to us.
- Zack: (guilty) I know, I know and I am really, really sorry.
- Zack: I promise you I will graduate, once I pass su.. su.. su..
- Everybody: ..mmer school!
- Zack: Yeah, that.
- Zack: Well, at least while I'm doing time, I could practice my guitar. (Kurt looks at Zack in a sterner approach as Zack returns the guitar back to Kurt) But you should give it to me after I graduate.
- Kurt: (chuckles) That's my boy.
- Beginning in this episode, Maddie briefly departs the Tipton Hotel to be a camp counselor. All her camp scenes were filmed separately than the rest of the episodes so as to not to interfere with her taping of High School Musical 2.
- When calling Mr. Forgess's cell phone, Zack passes himself off as Officer Lippencollarman. Lippencollarman is the last name of one of the staff of the Tipton Review Board from season one episode "Hotel Inspector".
- This marks the last appearance of George Forgess and Buckner Middle School in the Suite Life series.
- This is Kurt Martin's fourth appearance in this episode and his final appearance on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. It is also his final appearance until "Mom and Dad on Deck" and the last episode where Kurt has long hair.
- This episode is referenced in the last episode of the series, "Graduation on Deck" where Carey asks if Zack is really graduating.
- Carey seemed oblivious to Zack failing the 8th grade. However, at school Zack would have received a report card that notified Carey.
- When Maddie says that Holly is the one who "conned [her] out of [her] watch," this is incorrect as Maddie never wagered her watch in the game with Holly.
- When Zack and Cody first enter the suite, the sound of the door closing is heard in the background, but when the scene comes back to the boys, the door is wide open.