Zackary "Zack" Martin (Dylan Sprouse), along with his brother Cody Martin, is one of the two main protagonists in The Suite Life series.He is typically the studious, mellow, adorable, sometimes self-centered and often the cutest twin, who is often seen wearing chokers, tutus, and his school uniform clothes. Academically, Zack is a straight "D" student, but he shows a great interest for wood shop—the class in which he is the best student.
Born ten minutes before his identical twin brother, Cody, Zack was born at St. Joseph's Hospital (known now as St. Joseph's Medical Plaza) in Seattle, Washington on a Sunday at 6:30 am in 1992.He traveled the nation with Cody and his mother Carey before finally settling into the Tipton Hotel as seen in the first episode of the series, "Hotel Hangout."
Zack is shown to have a Swedish heritage; in the episode "The Swede Life", Zack and Cody visit Sweden which they detail as the home of their ancestors.
The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
Moved into the Tipton against their will, Zack and his brother Cody are forced to live with the bare minimum in a hotel suite while their mother sings in the lounge several nights a week. They are finally "settled", and make friends in school, though not without issue. Zack is best known for his seriousness and adorable jokes around the hotel, and usually gets a little severe punishment than his brother Cody. Though Zack is not as intelligent as his brother, he shows that if he works hard, he can accomplish anything.
Zack moves up through middle school with his brother and they encounter several problems both there and at home, often with Mr. Moseby or their mom.
Zack is a study and a "man's lady" when it comes to girls. When it comes to schoolwork, Zack is not nearly as smart as Cody, and is described as cute by Mr. Forgess in the episode "Smart & Smarterer." He's the more athletic of the twins and likes to do ballet, ride equestrian horses, singing, and dancing. He likes to be in the limelight and often sometimes to take credit for other people's accomplishments. He can be very petty when it comes to money and sometimes uses Cody for get-rich-quick schemes. Even though he insults and uses Cody,he is shown to be protective when other people are mean to him.
Unlike his brother Cody, who loses most of his prankster antics, Zack is still fond of cutifying people throughout both of the series regardless of the often high consequences and already knowing he will be the first person blamed. When it comes to causing trouble, Zack seemingly has an affinity for it.
Despite his attitude, Zack is the more sentimentally attached of the twins. he always misses Cody when he's gone and often feels bored without him. he also clung to his mother's legs during the first episode of The Suite Life on Deck, crying, "Mommy, don't go!"
Zack is usually shown to be extremely lazy school-wise, in sharp contrast to his book smart brother. In "Goin' Bananas", he implicitly states that he would try harder; however, because of his brother's over-achieving personality, he explains that nothing he ever does is good enough. In line with this idea, despite Zack's obvious moments of intelligence, he can be short-sighted and lacking in his thoughts, making him appear dumb to others. Zack always relies on Cody to do his homework and school projects as Cody is clearly the more intelligent of the two. Zack is also a very good strategist, since the first episode he is shown to be able to make quite good plans that usually succeed or would succeed if an unseen second or third party didn't intervene. he is shown to be really good at woodwork. In "The Ghost and Mr. Martin", Zack changed history when he learned of the tampered compass.
Zack has, on two occasions, proved to be an expert in surviving in the wild with little more than the shirt off his back. He's also an expert fisher-boy. Soon after he became the second highest person there, Zack also is good at tracking and stealth.
In the episode "Books and Birdhouses", Zack is shown as very talented in making things out of wood, in the episode he was top of that class and was his teacher's favorite student.
Like his brother, Zack is about four feet tall with long blonde hair at the start of the series and as the series progresses he grows adorably. he generally wears tutus and chokers, and emoji t-shirts or shorts along with Sketchers sneakers. Of the two, Zack generally appears to be far more laid back than his brother, who usually wears more formal clothing.
- Cody Martin - Zack's younger twin brother he is the other main character of The Suite Life series. Though he doesn't always get along with Cody, the two share a strong brother-best-friend relationship and love each other.
- Carey Martin - Zack’s mother. Carey is divorced from Kurt. Zack loves Carey, although he sometimes acts like he doesn't.
- Kurt Martin - Zack’s father. Kurt is divorced from Carey. Zack loves Kurt, and often seems to prefer to see his dad.
- Knuut Martins - Zack’s Swedish ancestor.
- Olaf Martins - Zack’s Swedish ancestor
- London Tipton - Zack's wealthy friend from the Tipton Hotel.
- Bob - Zack's good friend on The Suite Life of Zack & Cody.
- Max - Zack's friend on The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. In "Kisses & Basketball", She is his first kiss when he accidentally kisses her after she scores. Zack realizes he does have feelings for Max (who in return likes him) and they go on one date but end up being just friends after complications get in the way. Max is best friends with Tapeworm.
- Tapeworm - Zack's friend on The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. With Cody and Max, they form a band called Rock Squared in "Band In Boston".
- Warren - Zack's friend on The Suite Life of Zack & Cody.
Zack likes and flirts with many girls, but has never really had one long-term girlfriend, although he seems to be serious with his current girlfriend, Maya. In "Prom Night", they take each other for dates.
- Maddie Fitzpatrick - She calls him "sweet thang" and despite flirting with other girls, Zack had a crush on Maddie throughout all three seasons of The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. Throughout the series, he frequently flirts with her and tries to impress her, though is constantly rejected due to the three-year age difference between them. Zack expresses genuine love for her and believes that she loves him in return but 'just doesn't know it yet'. Though he has a huge crush on her in the whole series, it is the most major in season one. In seasons two and three, he still has feelings for her, but he also flirts with other girls. In "A Prom Story", where he eventually gets to dance with her. In "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Hotel", it is revealed that his greatest dream is to marry Maddie. Zack expresses jealousy whenever Maddie is shown to fall for another boy, such as in "Maddie Checks In" and "Rumors". He seems to love Maddie more than his own mother as shown in "Pilot Your Own Life". He always performs kind actions towards Maddie, such as being the only one to show up at her sixteenth birthday party in "Not So Suite 16" (despite London's bribery of big screen TVs) and ensuring that her work in Lip Syncin' in the Rain is given credit for.
- Max - Zack and Cody became friends with Max and 'Tapeworm' in the first aired episode and second produced episode. Later in the episode, Zack and Cody ditch them but soon get back with them. In "Kisses & Basketball", Max kisses Zack on the lips and this annoys Zack. Zack and Max stop speaking to each other and stop passing the ball to each other in Basketball. Because Cody 'Tapeworm' and some other kids wanted the team to win, they made Zack ask Max on a date. Max accepts. Zack then finds out she actually likes him. Then when she tells Max that he originally didn't want to go but found out it was fun, Max gets angry and leaves. They later make-up and become friends again. In "Club Twin", Zack asks Max to help the club get money, and Zack offers $10 and a kiss. Max agrees for the money but not the kiss.
- Jessica and Janice Ellis - Zack and Cody have gone on double dates with these two several times during the second season, but they like Cody instead of Zack.
- Darlene - Zack had a crush on her in the episode, "Ask Zack". He manages to use the Ask Shirley advice column in the school newspaper (which Cody appointed him in the position) to get Darlene to go out with him, though his scheme gets found out by Darlene later in the episode, when letters from those needing advice from 'Shirley' accidentally spill out of his backpack, and she breaks up with him. Zack later apologizes to Darlene in the school paper (and inadvertently reveals to everyone at school that he is the person behind Ask Shirley in the process), and manages to win her over, much to Cody's dismay.
- Vanessa - Zack had a crush on her during the episode, "A Midsummer's Nightmare". Vanessa does not like Zack, instead she likes Cody.
- Gwen - In "A Midsummer's Nightmare," she is Cody's girlfriend originally, though Zack and Gwen kiss while running lines during rehearsals for the school production of William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and it was revealed that Gwen started to like Zack and she breaks up with Cody. Gwen's crush on Zack ended with the episode; otherwise they are very good friends.
- Ella - During the episode Miniature Golf, Zack went out with Ella twice and attempts to beat her at miniature golf when she beats him at the game.
- Haley - When Zack had to go to summer school, he only flirts with a girl named Haley, and if she gets scared she puts a paper bag over her head.
- Betsy - Zack told London that she was a "rat-roach" exterminator in "Sleepover Suite". He later kissed her so that she wouldn't be able to tell London that she wasn't. After he kisses another girl, she gets angry and slaps him.
- Amber - Zack fell for Amber, and tried to talk her into dating him in the episode, "First Day of High School". She is a year older than Zack, and she refuses to date a younger guy.
- Abby - Zack went out with her twice during the episode, "A Tale of Two Houses". Abby found out that Zack lied to her, but she forgave him.
- Dakota - Zack had Travis (Jaden Smith) cook in secret pretending it was him who cooked to impress her in "Romancing the Phone".
- Sabrina Bryan - In the episode "Doin' Time in Suite 2330", Zack subdues her by saying she's his favorite amongst the members of the music group The Cheetah Girls.
- Kiely Williams - In the episode "Doin' Time in Suite 2330", she hugs Zack because he says she's his favorite amongst the members of The Cheetah Girls. When he says this to the other cheetahs she gets angry.
- Adrienne Bailon - In the episode "Doin' Time in Suite 2330", Zack tells her she's his favorite amongst the members of The Cheetah Girls.
- London Tipton - They've had a number of interactions seen as hints towards a possible relationship.
- Violet Berg - She and Zack had a romance in "Kidney of The Sea".
- Piper - Zack likes to give her expensive gifts to the tune of maxing out his and Cody's student cards.
- Olivia Cabot - The daughter of Harvard's Dean of Admissions, Monroe Cabot. She and Zack dated in "Shipnotized" but Cabot has to approve of boys Olivia dates and Cabot didn't approve of Zack but he approves of Cody so Zack makes it look like Cody is dating Olivia. In the end, Cabot finds out and Zack and Olivia stop dating. Though Olivia's outrageous behavior after being hypnotized might have also contributed.
- Marissa - In the episode "Splash and Trash", Zack finds a girl floating in the ocean and believes she's a mermaid, before learning that she is actually a competitive swimmer and after learning that she has no time to relax because her father wants her to work harder to win the gold, Zack teaches Marissa how to relax and act like a normal teenager. Zack later convinces her to go after her dreams but live a normal life, after she tells her dad on the phone that she is quitting swimming. She says that he is a 'really great friend', but they will be just friends only until she wins the gold medal in the Olympics, and then she will be looking for someone (Zack) to celebrate with her.
- Alex Russo - In the episode "Double Crossed" (part of the "Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana" special), Zack is seen flirting with Alex. His obsession comes in handy when she needs to hide in his room, to which he responds by looking up to the sky, putting his hands together and saying, "Thank you!" Later on, when he discovered that Alex used him to cover up a prank, he insults her by calling her cunning, sadistic, and cold-hearted, but this was immediately followed by, "Where have you been all my life?" Alex then showed a temporary interest, but then was dragged away by her brother to be punished for the prank.
- Hannah Montana - In the episode "Super(stitious) Girl" (part of the "Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana" special), he seems to have a crush on Hannah.
- Tanya - Zack dated her in "Ala-ka-scram!" but she left him when he showed up late.
- Becky - In "Smarticle Particles", Zack pretended to like Becky and goes out with her so she wouldn't beat him up. He later asks Woody to flirt with her and when he catches them in each other's arms after Woody slips, he breaks up with her. He later sees her and becomes attracted to her, but she is already going out with Woody.
- Hilary - A girl Zack dates in "Family Thais". Zack originally liked her friend Sasha (Erica Aulds) and she liked Cody but upon hearing the other two were already in relationships, Zack and Hilary got together.
- Jenna - Zack flirted with her in the episode "Lost at Sea".
- Tiffany - Zack dated her in "Roomies".
- Dorta - A Swedish girl Zack liked in "The Swede Life". Her ancestor Ingrid originally like his ancestor Knut but married another guy when he was shipped to fall of the face of the Earth.
- Janice - In "Model Behavior", Janice is shown to have a crush on Zack, but Zack waits too long and she starts dating Woody instead.
- Bailey Pickett - At the start of The Suite Life on Deck, Zack says he likes Bailey, but later lets Cody have her instead.
- Maya Bennett - Maya appears in season three. Zack flirts with her but Maya ignores his motives. Later, Zack looks in Cody's six-month plan book and fails to impress due to the plan being designed for Bailey. Cody tells Zack to treat Maya as a friend; therefore Zack becomes Maya's friend. In "Das Boots" when Zack, Woody, London and Maya almost die by running out of oxygen in London's shoe submarine, Zack admits his love for Maya. Maya reciprocates that she feels the same way, but when they get saved by Cody, Maya resents the idea of becoming Zack's girlfriend. In the episode, "Party On!" Zack and Maya shared their first kiss. In "Graduation on Deck", Maya left to join the Peace Corps, and broke up with Zack.
- "Hey beautiful. I don't always smell like this. Unless you like it!"
- "Hey, sweet thang!"
- "Maybe she'll have a lousy time on your date. You are as boring as a stick. Actually, worse. You can play with a stick."
- "Mr. Moseby, you just don't know what it's like to deal with kids!"
- In "Bon Voyage", Zack said Marcus was the only roommate he had that he didn't hate, although Bailey was his roommate for most of "The Suite Life Sets Sail".
- In "What the Hey?" Zack can do a perfect impression of his mother.
- The way his name is spelled has caused some confusion. In "Rumors" Cody spells it "Z-A-C-K." But in episodes such as "Forever Plaid" and "Sink or Swim" his name tag says "Zach." Also in the closed captions for some episodes, it is "Zack" but in others it's "Zach."
- Zack is one of the only two characters to appear in every episode of The Suite Life series. The other being his twin brother, Cody.
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
- The Suite Life on Deck
- The Suite Life Movie
- Maya Bennett
- Cody Martin
- Carey Martin
- Woody Fink
|Zack Martin • Cody Martin • London Tipton • Marion Moseby • Maddie Fitzpatrick • Bailey Pickett • Carey Martin • Marcus Little|
|Woody Fink • Emma Tutweiller • Mr. Blanket • Maya Bennett • Kirby Morris • Addison • Esteban Ramírez • Arwin Hochauser • Norman the Doorman • Irene the Concierge|
|The Suite Life of Zack & Cody Characters • The Suite Life on Deck Characters • The Suite Life Movie Characters • Males • Females • Adults • Teens • Villains • One-time Characters • Tipton Employees • Paul Revere Mini Mart Employees • Buckner Middle School • Cheevers High School • Seven Seas High School • The Martins • The Picketts • The Tiptons|